The 13 Ways To Make Money Gardening
The 13 ways to make money gardening are my secrets of how to succeed in the gardening business. The 13 ways to make money gardening are my experiences. This is the story of how I changed my life. The secrets of my successes and failures. A way to make some extra cash or even a living at it. If I can do it you can too. Making money gardening is something I started doing for fun and ended up growing my hobby into a business. Everything I am about to share with you is the truth and no fluff. I promise. Simply because I only know it, if I have done it myself. I have tried and failed at many things in my life but gardening isn’t one of them. I mean don’t get me wrong I have had plants fail and die on me. But I do feel like I have a green thumb. Along the way I have come up with 13 ways to make money gardening. Each one of these 13 ways to make money gardening are proven to work time and time again. Year after year and I still use all of these. Of course there are more than 13 ways to make money gardening but these are mine and they are proven to work for me. They may not work under your growing conditions but I use organic gardening methods. Everything is organic right down to the water that waters the plants. So conditions may vary.
13 Ways To Make Money Gardening: Vegetable Starts
1. I am starting with this one because it is my favorite. Growing and selling vegetable starts is a great way for the beginner gardener to make a little cash with very little work involved. Which is why it is my favorite. You start by getting some organic soil. You plant some seeds and a few weeks later you sell them. Now you do still have to do a little work getting them going and watering them, but after that it is all cake work. The little plants sell every year and are starting to become a very large part of my business. They are so easy to grow and they sell like hot cakes. I can’t believe I hadn’t thought of it years ago. This will be my 4th season of doing this and it gets bigger and better every year. With the addition to my greenhouse I will be producing up to 20,000 seedlings this year. You could actually do this alone and make thousands and thousands of dollars in little to no time at all. Usually a couple of months. It is pretty simple to do and believe me some gardening jobs are very tough. The trick to this one is figuring out when to start the little plants to have them ready in time for gardening season. And to beat the big box store prices. I still haven’t figured out the right date yet but I am working on it. I will save that for another post. And you have to know how to get the word out.
Water Gardening For Profit
2. Water gardening is a fun hobby and also a great way to make money gardening. I started out doing this just for fun, because I wanted to raise some fish. Then I met a guy who sold water lilies and other water plants. I built my first pond and started raising fish and water plants. It started my actual gardening business. I put in a pond for my Mom on her birthday. I really liked the look of it and I also enjoyed creating the little water garden. So I took some pictures and made up a flyer. And so it began and I started getting pond jobs. To date I have put in 35 water gardens, 3 patios, 4 walkways and many other landscaping and hardscaping jobs. I have even dug 2 lakes and one small pond with a bobcat. I so wish I would have done this when I was younger instead of getting into printing. But you cross your bridges when you get to them. And apparently I hadn’t got to that bridge just yet. Anyway, I started getting a lot of water lilies from the plants I was growing and the guy I got them from showed me how to split them. So with extra plants my pond was getting a little crowded. So I put in more ponds at my house and started growing the lilies in all of the 9 ponds. So I then started selling the plants from the water gardens. Which is another one of my favorite of the 13 ways to make money gardening. Because the plants and fish do all the work for you growing while you take care of the rest of your life. Then when it comes time to sell them. You just go out and pull it out of the pond and sell it. Simple as that. And I sell my water lilies for $16 a piece.
Growing And Selling Bamboo Plants
3. Growing and selling bamboo plants is a way of life for me now. I couldn’t imagine my life without it. It provides for me when nothing else is. I even sell it through the winter. Gardening is a seasonal business, but bamboo can be dug year round as long as the ground isn’t frozen. But today the ground was frozen and I still dug and potted some. It makes a challenging task that much harder. But it is dormant so it’s still a good time if you know what you’re doing. I have 49 different species of bamboo and most of them runners. Now growing and selling bamboo is not nearly as easy as the first 2 options, but it does make money gardening. We also remove bamboo for people and this also makes me money. We now sell bamboo all across the United States and I am darn proud of that. In fact we sell all of our products across the U.S. Right through my Amazon Store www.amazon.com/shops/A13JAQNPXDNX
Growing And Selling Vegetables
4. Growing and Selling Vegetables is as easy as it sounds. When you start your vegetable plants for sale, just keep some growing for yourself. Sell the produce for profits. It is as simple as that. Now keep in mind that with selling vegetables you will have to take care of the plants until they are done producing vegetables but it is still an easy way to make money gardening. You may need to join a farmers market to sell the vegetables or sell them right from your home. If they are homegrown they will sell. They will sell best out in your front yard probably.
Growing and Selling Perennials
5. Growing and selling perennials is easy because they don’t require a lot of care to grow and reproduce. When they multiply and you dig them to divide, save some and pot them up for sale. I mean you are going to divide them and put them back into the ground anyway. Why not make a little money for your hard work. That is the way I approach each one of these methods. I love plants that multiply. Because they multiply this give you an endless supply of products. Just be sure not to sell them all. I usually grow something for 3 years before I sell any. For one I want to put the work in before I get paid and another is if I sell them right away, I don’t have near as many as I would 3 years later. Plus I know how the plants will grow under my growing conditions. It’s hard to sell plants if you don’t know anything about them. It’s easy to sell them if you know all about them. If you share your knowledge you will get repeat customers. Another great thing about perennials is that they come back every year. So your hard work keeps on paying and paying with enjoyment and money.
Growing And Selling Herbs And Spices
6. Growing herbs is becoming more popular everyday. Fresh herbs taste amazing and are great for cooking with. Fresh herbs bring out the flavor so much better than dried herbs. You would not believe it until you taste it. They are easy to grow and can be grown in a very small area, even indoors. Even in your kitchen window. I have only done this one season and although it wasn’t a huge success, I will be trying again this year. Lots of these herbs will reseed themselves and be back next year if grown outdoors. You can actually sell these. This can start out as a hobby and turn into a business too. I have only sold to relatives so far, but this year they are going on my list of products to sell.
Selling Vegetable Seeds
7. Saving your seed from your crops to either sell or grow the next year is how I do it. It is simple just save the seeds when you eat the vegetables. Sell them the following year. Keep only the best seeds and make sure not to sell old seed. Or you might have some angry customers. Fresh seeds sell easily. Heirloom seeds sell even easier. So make sure and save those seeds to make a little cash next year or grow your vegetable starts with them to sell and make even more money. Seeds sell but little plants will make more money.
Selling Flower Seeds
8. Most if not all flowers seed. That seed is valuable. So if every year you let your seeds rot or fall to the ground you are wasting money. As I said before seeds sell. And people will buy what you have for sale. As long as you make sure and get it in front of them. By ads or however you sell. If you don’t believe me why are you still reading this. Because I didn’t believe it either until I put some up for sale. And bang! I sold some I couldn’t believe it. I mean I already knew people buy seeds, I guess I just never thought they would buy them from me but they do. I sold $56 worth of one kind of seeds. But it’s true and now I sell them on a regular basis. I know it sounds too good to be true but I promise they sell. Flower seeds sell the most for me.
Selling Tree Seeds
9. Do you have trees in your yard? Do they have seeds on them? Then you have another way of making money gardening. Even if you never do anything to the tree except pick off the seeds. They will sell. And they are free. The best part about them. Free. Now put up an ad and start trying to sell them. You will be happy when you sell your first seeds. Or grow them out into little trees and sell the little trees for a lot more.
Selling Seeds of Your Herbs and Spices
10. You can sell the seeds of your herbs and spices too. At the end of the season let your herbs seed and then save them to sell. Seeds sell and herb seeds are no exception. people want to grow their own herbs and spices and will buy them from you. I will have more information after I have grown them for a few more years. I am new to growing herbs and spices still.
Propagating Plants To Sell
11. Propagating plants is another way to make money gardening. Tomatoes in particular need to have the suckers removed for bigger and better tomatoes. Why not take these and grow them into plants that can be sold. Instead of just throwing them out. Make money off of them. The more plants you have to sell the more money you will make. If you just throw them away you are throwing away profits.
Making Your Own Compost To Sell
12. Making your own compost whether to sell or to use is a very wise decision to make. I have sold my own composted soil before. I once sold 3 truckloads of what I call black gold. It is all organic soil and grows some of the best vegetables you ever tasted. No weeds, no seeds and no meat. Other than that you can use grass clippings, vegetable waste, coffee grinds, tea leaves, egg shells and other materials to make your own soil.
Making Your Own Fertilizer To Sell
13. If you raise animals or fish you have fertilizer. Now most animal waste needs to cure for a year before using but if you raise animals I’m sure you have plenty. Fish waste can be used right away if diluted down a fair amount. Animal waste is high in nitrogen and can burn easily. So be careful what you sell and make sure it works well before selling. And always recommend diluting it down with other soils or water. I will be updating this post 13 ways to make money gardening. If you would like to know more about making money gardening keep reading. Or check out my new post How To Make Money With Your Greenhouse At insidemygreenhouse.com
By Jeff Gabelman